Advertisements

Cold silver

11 Nov

Yesterday, we had temps in the high 60’s with sunny skies. I didn’t metal detect. Today, the thermometer read 34 degrees, cloudy and windy so of course I grabbed Maurice and headed out.

In truth, I wanted to test some new thermal underwear. I had a spot next to a school I’ve been wanting to try for a while. When I got there, I put my XP Deus metal detector to work. As luck would have it, the very first, digable coin signal turned out to be a nice 1939 Mercury dime at about 6 inches deep.

1939 Mercury dime still in the dirt

I love this sight!

It sure makes you think you will be digging silver dimes all day when your first signal is a Merc.

1939 Mercury dime

Cold silver!

The field where I found this Merc is fairly large and I knew I would only be able to cover but a small portion of it. I sure hope there is more silver there.

At the end of the hunt, I ended with 3 wheats, some clad, and of course, the Merc.

Not a bad hunt

Not bad for a cold and windy day. Oh and the thermal underwear performed well.

Thank you for looking!

Advertisements

6 Responses to “Cold silver”

1. davidsprings November 11, 2012 at 10:41 pm #

I went out today also. I’ll be looking for thermal socks. Since they stole a vein from my left leg, my left toes turn to ice, even while the toes on the right foot are warm and comfortable. We need to take both Deus machines out and see just how good they can be. My stepson invited us back to the park in Andover. He says they had a fair out there and nobody’s hit it since. At least he hasn’t seen anyone out there since the fair.

• yaquigrande November 12, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

Sounds like a good idea. I think I am as comfortable with the Deus as I am going to get. I sure love that coin signal now, when I get one. I am working late all this week but after this week I kind of get a break and return to 8 hours a day.

2. lawdog1 November 12, 2012 at 9:51 am #

……..and I was in bed with the flu! You kill me!

• yaquigrande November 12, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

Sorry to hear that man! I hope you get some relief soon. I am ready to hit that ghost town again. This time i will slow down. LOL!

3. Greg Smith November 12, 2012 at 10:33 am #

Not bad David…went out yesterday too early…found a Franklin in the same area I found the Morgan at last year…

• yaquigrande November 12, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

Sweet! I need to make an effort to go back to that park. I went there when I first got the Deus but have not returned now that I am better with it.