Advertisements

Metal Detect and Live

27 Apr

I can’t believe it has been this long since I posted something!

Some months ago I began a project that took my mind-time away from detecting but now I can give my beloved hobby some due time.

But it has been quite a long time. No walking around the parks in my city, no digging holes in the ground and thus grounding myself (it’s a thing, really), no breathing outside air, and no sunshine on my face.

This sad situation led my health to decline culminating on a most unfortunate heart attack. Fittingly, the cardiac event (as they called in the hospital) happened while I sat my fat ass in my office chair. But don’t be too worried for me; my doctor put it this way: “if you are going to have a heart attack, this is the kind to have”. I think he meant that there was no permanent damage so I get to live on. I think of it as a warning shot.

Now there are a bunch of pill bottles on the kitchen counter and a couple of different types of insulin in the fridge but rather than lamenting more, I want to make this a teaching moment: Go out detecting. Dig those pull tabs and count every time you go down and get up again as a life-saving activity. Walk far, swing low and slow, breath the air, feel the sun on your skin, and live a long life.

Thank you for stopping by.

P.S. I have made a date to go detecting with a young man who is really interested in enjoying this hobby of ours. Yeah!

Advertisements

8 Responses to “Metal Detect and Live”

1. Dick April 27, 2018 at 6:53 pm #

Hey Miner, have thought about and you wondered where you went. Now I know…. I’m sorry to hear about your setback but happy that things are now on the upswing. I’m looking forward to hearing about your outings and seeing your finds. Good to have you back….

2. Lawdog1 April 27, 2018 at 7:57 pm #

Damn, Dave! Sorry to hear. I’m glad you’re still around. I will pray for your health. We need to get out. The school is just sitting there waiting for us…..

3. David Springs April 27, 2018 at 8:43 pm #

Sorry to hear about your heart attack, but welcome to the club, I guess. No better therapy but sunshine and exercise, so have your doc write a script for you, saying you must go metal detecting at least 3 times a week. Give a copy to your wife and one to your boss!

• pulltabMiner April 28, 2018 at 8:32 am #

Darn David! Why didn’t I think of it! LOL!

4. Richard Davidson April 27, 2018 at 9:07 pm #

I figured that it would take something like that. I think that detecting is what has kept me going all of these years. that and i don’t like doctors. I figure that some day they will probably find me lying in a park with my detector and equipment missing. Actually I haven’t been out as much as I would like because my car died. Believe me having to walk to a park to hunt shows. I can’t hunt more that a couple of hours because I have to be able to walk back too. I am pretty much stuck hunting Plainview and after over thirty years there just isn’t that much left that I haven’t hunted before. Let me know if you want to go hunting sometime. You would have to drive unless you want to hunt Plainview. There are still old coins there but you really have to work for them. Silversmith45.

• pulltabMiner April 28, 2018 at 8:33 am #

Richard, just let me know how to contact you and we’ll go out there and disturb some soil.